North Korean leader rethinking denuclearization talks with US after Trump left summit: Top official
Staff Host Account
/ Categories: Islam Times-English

North Korean leader rethinking denuclearization talks with US after Trump left summit: Top official

“I have a feeling that Chairman Kim may have lost the will” to negotiate with Trump, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui told South Korea’s Yonhap news agency on Friday. "It's my personal feeling." “I think about whether [we] should continue talks," she added, questioning the need to continue denuclearization talks with the Washington after Trump said Thursday that he had to walk away from the meeting with Kim in Hanoi. The American president said Pyongyang was ready to make concessions but not in areas that Washington had hoped for. He also claimed that Kim insisted on removing all US sanctions as a per-requisite to denuclearization. North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho, however, offered a starkly different breakdown of the summit, telling reporters in a separate presser that Pyongyang never asked for the removal of all sanctions. According to him, Pyongyang had relayed to Trump that it was ready to "permanently and completely dismantle all the nuclear production facilities" at Yongbyon – its main site – if the US agreed to scrap sanctions "that hamper the civilian economy and the livelihood of our people." Choe's remarks on Friday echoed those of Kim, who warned in his New Year's message that Pyongyang may take “a new path” if Washington keeps the country under pressure and sanctions. Trump and Kim met at a historic summit in Singapore for the first time last year, where they agreed to work towards denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. Subsequent diplomacy between the two sides, however, has made little progress, mainly because the US refused to lift harsh sanctions on the North. So far, Pyongyang has taken several steps toward the goal by suspending missile and nuclear testing, demolishing at least one nuclear test site, and agreeing to allow international inspectors into a missile engine test facility. Washington, however, insisted that sanctions on the North must remain in place until it completely and irreversibly its nuclear program. Choe said in her remarks that Washington should have rewarded Pyongyang adequately by lifting at least some of the sanctions. Before leaving Hanoi on Thursday night, Trump claimed that the talks collapsed because Kim wanted all the sanctions lifted without firmly committing to eliminate his nuclear weapons. Ri, however, said Pyongyang was even ready to offer in writing a permanent halt of its nuclear and intercontinental ballistic missile tests. He blasted Trump for wasting an opportunity that “may not come again,” reaffirming that the North would not change its stance even if the US offers to resume another round of talks. The Hanoi summit, was held after at least a month of preparations, which had raised hopes of a major advancement toward reaching an agreement. Trump move in cutting short the talks drew fire from former vice president Joe Biden, who said the businessman-turned-politician was treating the talks as a real estate deal. Biden, who offered a rare praise for Trump for leaving the summit, said, "But diplomacy matters; preparation matters. The president treats everything like it's a real estate deal.” Summit collapse disappointed South Korea The summit collapse also disappointed US-ally South Korea, which has been improving relations with the North since the dramatic summit between Kim and the South’s President Moon Jae-in in January last year. Yonhap wrote on Friday that the clock on the Korean Peninsula’s security situation has “turned back to zero” and diplomacy was now “at a crossroads.” President Moon said the summit's failure has made his government's role “more important” to help the two sides reach “a complete settlement by any means.” The president, who has long favored engagement with the North, has set aside large investment and joint cross-border projects as incentives for steps towards denuclearization. He made the remarks in a nationally televised address on Friday, saying although US sanctions blocked all channels for establishing the road and rail links with North Korea, he will “consult” with Washington to resume operations.

Link to original article

Previous Article US manufacturers are accelerating their shift out of China
Next Article Russia bashes US for flagrant intervention in Venezuela
Print
28 Rate this article:
No rating

Leave a comment

Add comment

x
«March 2019»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
25
2627
28
12
3
4
5
6
7
89
10
11
12
13
141516
17
18
19
202122
2324
25262728293031
1234567